01 Jun A FAST START FOR ANDREA IANNONE AT HIS HOME GP
Team Suzuki Press Office – June 1.
Andrea Iannone: 1st – 1:46.735
Alex Rins: 16th – 1:47.996 (+ 1.261)
• Iannone showing strong pace in both sessions.
• Alex Rins using Day 1 to focus on settings and new chassis.
• Mugello’s fast track promises an enthralling weekend.
The first day of action in the beautiful Tuscan hills around Mugello proved to be a positive start for Team SUZUKI ECSTAR.
Although clouds greeted the riders in the morning’s FP1 session, and the track appeared less grippy than it was during the recent test, the pace was nevertheless quite high. Both riders started the session on the soft-medium tyre combination and placed themselves inside the Top 10 early on. As the session came to a close, Andrea Iannone shot to the top of the timesheet with a strong 1:47.253. Alex Rins meanwhile was 12th with a 1:48.274.
For FP2 the track and air temperatures rose, upping the pace for all the riders. Alex Rins used the early part of the session to test a new chassis. Andrea Iannone began the session on the medium-soft combination and was able to set quick laps immediately, despite a small run off. Unfortunately, the session had to be red-flagged twice but both Team SUZUKI ECSTAR riders were still able to find useful improvements in the afternoon. Alex Rins, whilst only 15th, improved his laptime to a 1:47.99. The home rider, Andrea Iannone, made an excellent final push with the medium-soft combo at the end of FP2, and became the only rider in the 1:46 bracket with a 1:46.735, putting him very close to the circuit record. The Italian was also fastest in sectors 2, 3, and 4 for both sessions.
Tomorrow’s FP3 will be important for Alex Rins as he aims to join his team-mate in the provisional Q2.
Davide Brivio – Team Manager
“It’s been a very good day for Andrea, he’s in great shape and he’s been quick in both sessions with lots of fast laps, and of course he is very comfortable here. There are still some improvements we can make on the bike, but he’s riding very well so let’s hope to continue like this tomorrow. Alex concentrated more on testing different things like the new chassis, which he liked, but he found negative and positive points with it. But it was important for us to test it. Alex will try to put everything together for FP3. In general it’s been a positive day. Andrea has the new chassis available and he’ll probably try it tomorrow.”
“I recovered my head here in Mugello, after a couple of difficult years here. Fortunately the feeling with the bike here is really good, and everything is going really well in the garage. Since the start of this year I’ve worked in a different way with my team, and it’s really good. We have a great chance at this track and I’m pumped to have the support of the fans, but of course it’s difficult because all the riders are really close, but I’m ready for the fight and I won’t give up! My feeling is improving race by race.”
“My feeling today has been quite good, I focused on trying new things. The new chassis was good and I feel comfortable with it, and we’ve improved a bit on stability in corner entry. So we just focused on the rhythm today and not on setting fast laps. It was positive to try new things, but the technicians need to adjust it a bit more, anyway, I think I could use it in the race.”
GP of Italy – Combined Classification after Day 1:
1. Andrea IANNONE Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1:46.735 (FP2)
2. Maverick VIÑALES Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1:47.122 0.387 / 0.387 (FP2)
3. Marc MARQUEZ Repsol Honda Team 1:47.218 0.483 / 0.096 (FP2)
4. Johann ZARCO Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:47.365 0.630 / 0.147 (FP2)
5. Jack MILLER Alma Pramac Racing 1:47.403 0.668 / 0.038 (FP2)
6. Cal CRUTCHLOW LCR Honda CASTROL 1:47.433 0.698 / 0.030 (FP2)
7. Valentino ROSSI Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1:47.445 0.710 / 0.012 (FP2)
8. Franco MORBIDELLI EG 0,0 Marc VDS 1:47.497 0.762 / 0.052 (FP2)
9. Danilo PETRUCCI Alma Pramac Racing 1:47.569 0.834 / 0.072 (FP2)
10. Jorge LORENZO Ducati Team 1:47.691 0.956 / 0.122 (FP2)
11. Michele PIRRO Ducati Team 1:47.803 1.068 / 0.112 (FP2)
12. Takaaki NAKAGAMI LCR Honda IDEMITSU 1:47.901 1.166 / 0.098 (FP2)
13. Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati Team 1:47.902 1.167 / 0.001 (FP2)
14. Dani PEDROSA Repsol Honda Team 1:47.924 1.189 / 0.022 (FP2)
15. Hafizh SYAHRIN Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:47.946 1.211 / 0.022 (FP2)
16. Alex RINS Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1:47.996 1.261 / 0.050 (FP2)
17. Aleix ESPARGARO Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1:48.113 1.378 / 0.117 (FP2)
18. Tito RABAT Reale Avintia Racing 1:48.221 1.486 / 0.108 (FP2)
19. Pol ESPARGARO Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 1:48.269 1.534 / 0.048 (FP2)
20. Scott REDDING Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1:48.458 1.723 / 0.189 (FP2)
21. Alvaro BAUTISTA Angel Nieto Team 1:48.524 1.789 / 0.066 (FP2)
22. Karel ABRAHAM Angel Nieto Team 1:48.573 1.838 / 0.049 (FP1)
23. Bradley SMITH Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 1:49.044 2.309 / 0.471 (FP2)
24. Tom LUTHI EG 0,0 Marc VDS 1:49.082 2.347 / 0.038 (FP2)
25. Xavier SIMEON Reale Avintia Racing 1:49.757 3.022 / 0.675 (FP2)
Story Issued by: Team SUZUKI ECSTAR.
Mugello Free Practice Image Gallery: CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS