21 Nov FIRST TEST OF 2019 COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY
Team Suzuki Press Office – November 21.
Alex Rins: 7th – 1’31.254 (+0.497s)
Joan Mir: 14th – 1’31.714 (+0.957s)
• Alex Rins has first feel of 2019 GSX-RR engine.
• Joan Mir continues the learning process.
• Team looking forward to next test in Jerez.
After a difficult first day of testing in which weather conditions impacted on the amount of track time available to the riders, it was a similar story on Day 2 with much of the morning session lost due to the track being too cold.
Nevertheless, Alex Rins was able to build on the work done yesterday, and finally try the brand new 2019 engine spec. Due to conditions, he was not able to test the chassis but he reported positive feelings and is looking forward to trying the full 2019 GSX-RR package in Jerez next week. He completed 69 laps and finished 7th, less than half a second from the leader.
Joan Mir continued to get to grips with his graduation into MotoGP. He used the second day of testing to compare the feel of various different adjustments and to learn more about setting up his GSX-RR. The rookie still managed a great 14th place, and put in 56 laps.
The Team will head to the Circuit of Jerez for the second 2019 test next week, from Wednesday 28th November.
Ken Kawauchi – Technical Manager
“It’s been a positive test, except for the weather. It’s normal at this time of the year but it meant we didn’t have much track time. Alex at least was able to try the new engine for next year, which was helpful for starting the process of adjusting it. We’ll continue this work next week. As a rookie Joan has been very impressive and worked well, and both riders have done a very good job. The level of competition has been high among all the manufacturers, so we need to stay focused and get even more improvements.”
Davide Brivio – Team Manager
“This has been a productive and positive test for us, despite the weather conditions which prevented us from completing the whole programme we had. Alex made some improvements in setup and electronics at first, and then today he could finally test the new engine spec. Despite the fact that we still have some areas to finalise his first impressions were positive, and we got some important indications. We also wanted to try the 2019 chassis but due to the weather we’ll try it in Jerez. Joan continued his apprentice programme, after getting confident with the bike yesterday, today he began to appreciate how the bike’s behaviour changes as soon as we apply some modifications. For him the job was mainly focused on set up and electronics. These two days have been in line with our expectations and have helped us prepare for Jerez, where we will try to finalise the base bike that we will use in Sepang in February.”
“My first impression of the new engine was good. I did a lot of laps with both the old engine and the new spec one, so I could compare and contrast. In the end my fastest lap came with the old engine, but we’ll continue to work. The new one has a lot of power and that’s a good sign. The main difference is in the power delivery on the whole curve, I can feel that a lot with the new engine spec. Let’s see what we can try in Jerez next week. I’m feeling good.”
“I’m very happy overall, I was improving in each session on the track and I was able to try a lot of things such as electronics. I’m learning a bit more about how MotoGP works and how the adjustments change the feel of the bike. My pace has been good, and that’s a great thing. But in Jerez I will try to work on setting fast laps, because here I wasn’t really able to set a very pacy lap. But I’m very happy with how everything is going so far. I can’t wait for Jerez!”
VALENCIA WINTER TEST DAY 2 – Classification:
1. Maverick VIÑALES Yamaha Factory Racing 1’30.757
2. Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati Team 1’30.890 0.133 / 0.133
3. Marc MARQUEZ Repsol Honda Team 1’30.911 0.154 / 0.021
4. Jack MILLER Alma Pramac Racing 1’30.939 0.182 / 0.028
5. Danilo PETRUCCI Ducati Team 1’30.959 0.202 / 0.020
6. Franco MORBIDELLI Petronas Yamaha SRT 1’30.974 0.217 / 0.015
7. Alex RINS Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1’31.254 0.497 / 0.280
8. Takaaki NAKAGAMI LCR Honda IDEMITSU 1’31.304 0.547 / 0.050
9. Valentino ROSSI Yamaha Factory Racing 1’31.371 0.614 / 0.067
10. Aleix ESPARGARO Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1’31.400 0.643 / 0.029
11. Francesco BAGNAIA Alma Pramac Racing 1’31.405 0.648 / 0.005
12. Jorge LORENZO Repsol Honda Team 1’31.584 0.827 / 0.179
13. Pol ESPARGARO Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 1’31.628 0.871 / 0.044
14. Joan MIR Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1’31.714 0.957 / 0.086
15. Tito RABAT Reale Avintia Racing 1’31.940 1.183 / 0.226
16. Fabio QUARTARARO Petronas Yamaha SRT 1’32.091 1.334 / 0.151
17. Andrea IANNONE Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1’32.124 1.367 / 0.033
18. Jonas FOLGER Yamaha Test Team 1’32.265 1.508 / 0.141
19. Michele PIRRO Ducati Team 1’32.376 1.619 / 0.111
20. Johann ZARCO Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 1’32.509 1.752 / 0.133
21. Karel ABRAHAM Reale Avintia Racing 1’32.906 2.149 / 0.397
22. Hafizh SYAHRIN KTM Tech 3 Racing 1’33.008 2.251 / 0.102
23. Bradley SMITH Aprilia Racing Test Team 1’33.028 2.271 / 0.020
24. Miguel OLIVEIRA KTM Tech 3 Racing 1’33.798 3.041 / 0.770
No Time Set
Stefan BRADL LCR Honda
Story Issued by: Team SUZUKI ECSTAR.
Valencia 2019 MotoGP Test, Day 1 & 2 Image Gallery: CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS